Mike Portnoy's Restaurants

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Yank Sing (San Francisco, CA)

Dim Sum Disappoints

Our outstanding flight to San Francisco was unfortunately offset by the absurdly long wait for our luggage and for our rental car. Once we got our car, we quickly arrived at our Courtyard Marriot and checked in. We deposited our luggage, freshened up, and hurried over to Yank Sing for a light lunch. Our walk turned out to be longer than expected but we found the generic looking restaurant without much fanfare.


As soon as we entered the restaurant, we were assaulted by several servers with different dim sum carts. While I appreciated their desire to feed us, I was put off by their pushiness and lack of regard for pacing.


We sampled a variety of dishes during our brief meal, with each dish consisting of four pieces. I enjoyed the fried crab claws. The crab meat was extremely fresh and the portion was generous. The chicken and mushroom dumplings were disappointingly bland. The shrimp roll was outstanding due to a fine layer of egg that separated the tender shrimp meat from the fried batter. I also enjoyed the shrimp dumplings which contained more of the same tender shrimp meat. The chicken that we had was greasy and fatty. Neither my Dad nor I enjoyed it. My Dad was not a big fan of the shrimp toast but I enjoyed the dish. All three of us loved the jasmine tea which was strongly flavored and made fresh from tea leaves. Our bill for the seven items was $60, which is way too high for what we received.



Overall, I do not recommend Yank Sing. I was disappointed with the prices which were unjustly high. The dishes varied from bland to outstanding but lacked consistency overall. Finally, I did not approve of the manner in which food was hurled at us consistently from the second that we entered the restaurant. I have had dim sum elsewhere that consisted of better food in a more relaxed environment.

The Facts
Name: Yang Sink
Address:
49 Stevenson St
San Francisco, CA 94105
Phone: (415) 957-9300
Cuisine: Chinese / Dim Sum
Price: Dim Sum $6-$10