Mike Portnoy's Restaurants

Sunday, December 25, 2005

House of Dim Sum (San Francisco, CA)

House of Dim Sum is in the House

Having been disappointed with yesterday’s dim sum lunch a Yank Sing, I was hoping that I would find a real dim sum restaurant in Chinatown. During my walking tour of Chinatown, I came upon the House of Dim Sum and decided to try it out based on the strong recommendation in San Francisco Frommer’s guidebook. The rain that had plagued the entire day was really coming down and I welcomed this opportunity to dry off.

The restaurant itself was long and rectangular with two small floors. A medium sized counter occupied the left side of the restaurant. Upon entering the restaurant, I was greeted with a friendly smile and a checklist that listed all of the items that were available. Since no prices were listed, I asked the woman by the counter who informed me that each item was $0.50. Having been frustrated by the expensive dim sum at Yank Sing, I was overjoyed to have found an extremely cheap dim sum restaurant. I ordered eight items and handed over a five dollar bill.

I particularly enjoyed the shark’s fin dumplings and the shrimp dumplings. Each shrimp dumpling contained tender shrimp that were thinly coated with egg. The dumpling shell was light and soft. The shark’s fin dumpling was bursting with flavor and I quickly consumed all three dumplings. I also ordered a turnip cake and sweet rice with chicken wrapped in a lotus leaf. The only dish that I did not enjoy was the sponge cake that I ordered for dessert, which was extremely bland.


While I was eating, I was joined by an unlikely companion since all of the other tables were full; a man from Japan who was taking a tour of the US. He had already been to Las Vegas and Los Angelos and was in town for a few days. He had decided to spend his birthday in Chinatown and had likewise dropped in to the House of Dim Sum for a quick bite to eat. After a thoroughly enjoyable impromptu 30 minute conversation, I opened up my umbrella and headed back out into the pouring rain.

I highly recommend House of Dim Sum. With excellent quality food and friendly service this is a great place to go for cheap, simple, no frills dim sum.

The Facts
Name: House of Dim Sum
Address:
735 Jackson Street
San Francisco, CA 94133
Phone: (415) 399-0888
Cuisine: Chinese / Dim Sum
Price: All items ($0.50)