Mike Portnoy's Restaurants

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Most Disappointing Meals of 2006

The following ten meals were my most disappointing of the year. Not each of these meals was bad nor were these the five worst meals of the year. However, each of the following meals left me longing for something more, whether it was for better food, more attentive service, or just a better understanding as to why the restaurant garners so much hype. Ultimately, disappointing meals are a measure of the difference between my expectations and the overall experience of the meal.

Elisabeth's on 37th (Savannah, GA)
This was one of the worst meals I have ever had due to horrible service on several levels: our server was cold, offered no useful advice despite being repeatedly asked for dish recommendation, did not take our dessert orders instead sending out a bus boy, and we never received the coffee that we ordered. The fact that we were celebrating my parents' anniversary was mentioned at the end of the meal as an afterthought (it would have been better to have not mentioned it at all). In addition, the dishes were extremely overpriced for their lack of inventiveness and poor accompanying service. I simply do not understand why Elisabeth's is included on many best of restaurant listings (including being mentioned in "1000 Places to See Before You Die"). This dining experience was the waste of a meal and $150. (11/22/06)

Gotham Bar and Grill (NYC, NY)
Having heard and read so many positive things about Gotham Bar and Grill I very much looked forward to dinner. However, a terribly rude, off putting, and inattentive server ruined the meal. The food also lacked the magic that I had expected. (01/12/06)

Jardiniere (San Francisco, CA)
Patti and I went to Jardiniere late on a Friday night. Many positive reviews and a James Beard Nomination (at the time, Traci Des Jardins later won the award) placed Jardiniere reasonably high up on my wish list of San Francisco restaurants. However, we were severely disappointed with the food. For starters, we shared an appetizer and were given a sharing surcharge. This is just unacceptable in a fine dining restaurant. Each of our fish entrees was bland and badly overcooked. Finally, the accompaniments were forgettable and did not complement the fish that they were served with. (03/31/06)

WD~50 (NYC, NY)
WD-50 was one of the top five restaurants in the country that I wanted to try due to its incredible creativity (food presentations, flavor combinations, and savory desserts). However, I left feeling that many of the dishes were simply done for effect and that very few tasted particularly good or noteworthy. Furthermore, the dining room and our server lacked energy. (05/07/06)

Citrus (Philadelphia, PA)
Their no reservation policy is just absurd. My folks took me for my birthday since I had always wanted to try it out. We put our names on the waiting list and then proceeded to kill time on Germantown Avenue. Over one hour later we were finally seated (having lost our appetite in the meantime) and the meal was just simply not worth such a long wait. (05/26/06)

Radius (Boston, MA)
I had extremely high expectations for Radius but was disappointed with a lackluster lunch. My server was cold and disinterested in me and the room was completely devoid of energy despite being full. In addition, two of my dishes were uninspiring. (06/19/06)

Oleana (Boston, MA)
Despite a knowledgeable and spunky server, Dan and I were disappointed with many of our dishes. (06/16/06)

Reata (Ft. Worth, Texas)
Reata is one of the most popular restaurants in Ft. Worth but I just do not understand the hype. Each of my dishes was disappointing, from the overly fried alligator to the incredibly dry chocolate tamales. (04/12/06)

Redd (Yountville, CA)
Earlier in the day, DJ and I had dined at Auberge du Soleil. We were both blown away by the decor, top notch service, and food. Our server recommended that we try out Redd, which was a brand new restaurant from the former executive chef of Auberge du Soleil. Since his dish recommendations were excellent, we followed his recommendation and had the hostess make a dinner reservation for us at Redd. The food at Redd was good but not outstanding. Furthermore, the service was lackluster and some of the dishes were disappointing. Having adored Auberge du Soleil, I had much, much higher expectations for Redd. (03/31/06)

El Dorado Kitchen (Sonoma, CA)
I had read several positive reviews of El Dorado Kitchen and looked forward to DJ's and my lunch. However, an incredibly nervous, green server and incredibly boring menu left me wanting more. (03/30/06)

Labels: